Monday, June 4, 2007

Unforgiven (1992)

This shot isn’t really what I wanted to note. Rather, what I wanted to say was that there is a lack of musical score for most of the movie. This gives the movie a greater feel of authenticity because life doesn’t have a soundtrack. I like the absence of music because it means the filmmaker doesn’t need it to sway my mood. Things in the old west happened down to Earth and with face value. Plain and simple, that’s it in a nutshell.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

What’s interesting about this shot is not what’s in it, or how the camera is angled. Instead, what’s odd about it is that there’s no trail dust on any of these cowboys. You’d think that, in a time where paved roads are scarce (at least on the frontier anyway) there would be dust and dirt all over people’s pants and shirts. Yet it is strangely absent. I can’t claim credit for seeing this; my dad once pointed out this little detail to me. Ever since he spoke of it to me, I have been looking carefully for signs of the dusty trail on cowboys in western films. It is a detail few are keen to spot.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The use of a candle at night may seem obvious to some. But I see it as proof of bonding. A candle’s light only reaches so far. People nearby that want to use that light have to sit real close to each other. This leads to fraternizing and familiarity, sometimes resulting in friendship. The trio does end up bonding, but like the illumination of the candle, it’s minimal.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: